The Topoisomerase 2A encoding (TOP2A) gene is located on chromosome band 17q21.2, near to the HER2 (ERBB2) oncogene. The TOP2A encoded protein has a function in DNA replication and the transcription of mRNA1,2. Amplification of the TOP2A gene is frequent in breast cancer and is often accompanied by HER2 amplification3.
TOP2A gene alterations are associated with an increased response to therapy using the anti-cancer drug anthracycline4, while patients with tumours that show normal levels of TOP2A and HER2 do not appear to gain any additional benefit from this drug4.
1. Chen AY, Liu LF, Ann Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 1994;34:191-218
2. Tsai-Pflugfelder M et al., Proc Nat Acad Sci 1988;85:7177-81
3. Bofin AM et al., Cytopath 2003;14(6):314-9
4. O'Malley et al., J Natl Cancer Inst 2009;101(9):644-650
- Area of Interest*
- Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer
This product is intended to be used on formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissues.
*Disease information supported by the literature and is not a reflection of the intended purpose of this product.