TFE3 (transcription factor binding to IGHM enhancer 3) is a protein-coding gene located at Xp11.23. Recurrent rearrangements of the TFE3 gene have been reported in a number of neoplastic diseases – often grouped together as ‘Xp11 translocation cancers’ – these include: renal cell carcinoma (RCC), soft tissue alveolar soft part sarcoma (ASPS), perivascular epithelioid cell tumors (PEComa), epithelioid hemangioendotheliomas (EHE) and melanotic Xp11 translocation renal cancer1,2.
In RCC, TFE3 translocation partners have been shown to include the ASPSCR1, SFPQ and NONO genes3. Although RCC and ASPS have been shown to have identical ASPSCR1-TFE3 fusion transcripts, the t(X;17) translocation is consistently balanced in the former but usually unbalanced in the latter - the derivative X chromosome is not seen in ASPS4.
In epithelioid hemangioendothelioma the novel YAP1-TFE3 fusion is seen, and defines a clinically distinct subset of this disease5,6, whereas in PEComa, the predominant partner has been shown to be the SFPQ gene7.
This research use only (RUO) probe has been designed for the investigation of TFE3 rearrangements, regardless of the partner gene involved.
It was very important for us to have more consistent results with our probes — easy-to-read bright signals and a range of vial sizes, which is much more cost-effective. It also was critical to upgrade our pretreatment kit to expedite the analysis of FFPE samples. We can now complete the process in about 90 minutes. Janet M. Cowan, PhD, Director of the Cytogenetics Laboratory at Tufts Medical Center
1. Eble JN, et al., World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs. Lyon: IARC Press; 2004.
2. Wu A et al., Histopathology 2008;53(5):533-44
3. Hodge JC, et al., Mod Pathol 2014 Jan;27(1):113–27.
4. Argani P, et al., Am J Pathol 2001;159(1):179–92.
5. Antonescu CR, et al., Genes, Chromosom Cancer. 2013 Aug;52(8):775–84.
6. Lee SJ, et al., Oncotarget. 2016;7(7):7480–8.
7. Rao Q, et al., Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Sep;39(9):1181-96
- Area of Interest*
For research use only, not for use in diagnostic procedures
*Disease information supported by the literature and is not a reflection of the intended purpose of this product.