HER2 (ERBB2) Amplification
The HER2 (ERBB2) Human Epidermal growth factor Receptor 2 gene, located at chromosome band 17q12, is a member of the Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) receptor family1.
It is activated and amplified in 20-30% of breast cancers2 and has been correlated with a poor prognosis for the patient3. Treatment of patients carrying the amplification using the monoclonal antibody Herceptin® (Trastuzumab) has been shown to be effective, increasing survival time by specifically targeting cells overexpressing HER24 and removing them from the system.
Similar results have been obtained for a variety of other malignant neoplasms overexpressing HER2 including ovarian5, stomach6, salivary gland7 and small cell lung8 cancers.
The quality of the products we have received from Cytocell have been excellent. The FISH probes they provide to us give intense, strong signals and are a pleasure to count. What has really stood out however has been the level of support and assistance provided by Cytocell’s application specialists. The team worked very closely alongside our own during the adoption of this product and spent many hours with us perfecting the technique, going above and beyond what I would expect during the transition period. Source BioScience absolutely demand high quality products and service to be able to deliver our results with confidence, and that is what we have received from Cytocell. Neil Ryan, Laboratory Operations Manager at Source BioScience
1. Coussens L, Yang-Feng TL et al., Science 1985;230(4730):1132-9
2. Slamon DJ et al., Science 1987;235(4785):177-82
3. López-Guerrero JA et al., Int J Cancer. 2006 Apr 1;118(7):1743-9
4. Kauraniemi P et al., Oncogene 2004;23(4):1010-3
5. Slamon DJ et al., Science 1989;244(4905):707-12
6. Gravalos C, Jimeno A, Ann Oncol 2008;19(9):1523-9
7. Vidal L et al., Head Neck 2009;31(8):1006-12
8. Ugocsai et al., Anticancer Res. 2005;25(4):3061-6
- Area of Interest*
- Breast Cancer, Gastric Cancer
This product is intended to be used on formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissues.
*Disease information supported by the literature and is not a reflection of the intended purpose of this product.